Forgen Selects CMiC to Integrate Operational Processes, Streamline Project Execution, and Reduce the Reliance on Third-Party Systems
Toronto, Ontario, October 30, 2023 – CMiC, a leading Next Generation Construction ERP provider, recently announced a new partnership with Forgen, a prominent provider of complex geotechnical and environmental construction services. With steady year-over-year growth, decision-makers at Forgen realized that they needed a robust construction management system to help them optimize operational processes and better support upper management through accurate and real-time reporting. After conducting extensive research, their findings led them to the most comprehensive construction-specific construction ERP in the market today: CMiC.
Forgen: A Leading Environmental, Geotechnical, Flood Control, and Ecosystem Restoration Contractor
Established in 2008, Forgen stands as one of the largest self-performing environmental, geotechnical, flood control, and ecosystem restoration contractors in the United States. Headquartered in Centennial, CO, Forgen serves both the public and private sectors. From a geographic market perspective, they serve both the United States, as well as Canada.
Their specializations include: specialty civil construction, environmental remediation, geotechnical construction, disaster mitigation and response, forestry management, deep foundations solutions, slurry wall construction, flood control and ecosystem restoration, soil mixing, and wildfire debris removal.
But what makes Forgen stand out from the rest is their mission to “restore and strengthen our natural surroundings to protect people, communities, and the environment for generations to come.” With this mantra, it shouldn’t be a surprise that Forgen is short for “For Generations.”
Business Challenges Faced: Non-Integrated Systems, Duplication in Data Entry and Non-Automated Processes
With their strong growth trajectory, the use of a generic business system, and the heavy reliance on third-party applications, leaders at Forgen realized that their current systems and processes could no longer support the firm’s long-term goals and growth.
The main challenges they faced included:
- Generic, “Non-Construction” Systems: The use of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central and other industry-agnostic tools proved to be less effective in recent years – especially when executing complex projects.
- Non-Integrated Systems: The use of different systems that are not designed to integrate with other tools — including various third-party applications — led to repetitive tasks being done by different teams and the lack of synergies.
- Lack of Real-Time Data: Slow and manual reporting processes meant that management did not have visibility of real-time reports.
- Sub-Par Automation: They had many manual processes in place for key deliverables, including daily reports, RFIs, submittals, and change orders.
- Slow Reporting Capabilities: Manual reporting processes created delays when comprehensive reports were required (some reports take up to 2 weeks to generate).
- Data Fragmentation: Project data was inconsistent across tools and teams.
After examining their challenges, it was clear that Forgen needed a serious paradigm shift, starting with a new software solution.
The Software Evaluation Journey: The Search for an Industry-Specific Construction ERP to Align with their Long-Term Goals
After embarking upon a thorough software evaluation journey, they found themselves choosing between Sage 300, Costpoint (by Deltek), and CMiC.
After careful consideration, they chose CMiC for the following reasons:
- Strong capabilities that would help them with the government contracting side of their business — specifically, cost reimbursable work, firm fixed price work, as well as strong quality controls to help them demonstrate compliance.
- Advanced features to help them better manage projects for the private sector.
- Cutting-edge Business Intelligence-based reporting, dashboard capabilities, and data analytics to help them create their own dashboards, queries and reports to examine project KPI’s. Equally as important, these capabilities will help them make sound, data-driven decisions.
- Built-in integrated field reporting and project management applications, thereby eliminating the need to use a third-party application (e.g., HeavyJob).
- A strong resource planning module and resource management functionality.
Key CMiC Applications within their Product Roadmap
With the implementation plan in place and a scheduled launch date of February 12, 2024, they selected the following applications for their product roadmap:
This suite of applications, through its industry-specific functionality with proven workflows, is designed to help their finance teams effortlessly manage accounting, human capital, and payroll.
Key applications they selected are:
- Human Capital Management
- Project Controls
- Asset Management
- Enterprise Content Management
- Microsoft Integration Package (MIP) Reporting
CMiC Project Management (Phase 2):
CMiC Project Management software will enable teams at Forgen to collaborate with project stakeholders, control project changes, manage subcontractor tasks and stay on top of material suppliers.
Key applications they selected are:
From a software deployment perspective, they opted for CMiC’s SaaS offering to align with their technical infrastructure.
According to Bruce Diettert, Senior Vice President & CFO ,“once we go through our initial implementation, we’ll be looking at other areas within the system and within our organization that we can improve.”
Anticipated Business Outcomes with CMiC as a Part of Their Technology Stack
With a solid plan in place, Diettert and team are looking forward to seeing key business improvements, including: a reduction in expenses through accurate and accelerated reporting, optimized pipeline management by integrating CMiC to Salesforce, and increased efficiency by automating specific financial processes.
“If we can improve these,” asserts Diettert, “then we can make a difference on the overall financial performance of the company. By integrating [CMiC] with Salesforce and by looking at other areas, we can start to make a difference in terms of the accuracy and the timeliness of delivering information. More importantly, it will give us the bandwidth to focus on how we make the company even better.”
Founded in 2008, our company has grown into one of the largest self-performing environmental contractors in the United States. Our tagline, ‘For Generations,’ is an acknowledgment of our commitment to building a better tomorrow. Today, we excel in complex geotechnical and environmental construction services that restore and strengthen our natural surroundings to protect people, communities, and the environment for generations to come. With employees supporting meaningful projects across the United States and Canada, our impact on future generations is only getting started.
As an industry pioneer, CMiC delivers complete and unified Financials and Project Management software solutions for construction and capital projects firms. CMiC’s powerful software transforms how firms optimize productivity, minimize risk and drive growth by planning and managing all financials, projects, resources, and content assets—from a Single Database Platform™. With customers throughout North America and overseas, CMiC serves one-quarter of ENR’s Top 400 Contractors and hundreds of small and mid-sized construction firms, from general and specialty contractors to heavy/highway and project owners. Over $100 billion in construction revenue is handled by CMiC annually.
For more information, please click here.
Head of Marketing — CMiC